The Dominican Convent School was the first school to be established in Harare (then, it was still called Salisbury). On the 18th of October 1892, the school was opened to 10 pupils and the first lesson was held in the new School Hut. Its first Mother Superior was Mother Patrick Cosgrave. Over the years, the school significantly developed. The Chapel was built and opened in 1908, and the first permanent school building was erected in 1930. Veritas House followed suit in 1958, as well as the school hall in 1963, an extension of the first school building, the primary school in 1999, and every other building and structure present in the school yard today.
The school’s targeted group of students has also evolved. Initially it was coeducational, but when our brother school, St George’s College was opened, the school became dedicated to educating the girl child. In 1939, Convent students sat for the Cambridge School Certificate Examination for the first time.
Over the years, the school anniversary has been celebrated in elaborate ways, one of them being the 120th year celebration. To honour this event, Old Girl Lizane Purse wrote and published Veritas, a book which vividly depicts the development of the Dominican Convent from its very first days in 1892, right up to 2012. This book is available for purchase at the school today. It is ex-pupils like her and many others who continue to hold the Convent flag high in many corners of the world and without whom the story of the Dominican Convent would be incomplete.
Sr. Yolanda Kilkelly 1892-1901
Sr. Canisia Fink 1902-1912
Sr. Bertranda Fischhaber 1912-1917
Sr. Amanda Linder 1918-1922
Sr. Bertranda Fischhaber 1922-1949
Sr. Georgina Wilkinson 1950-1954
Sr. Trinitas Freitag 1955-1956
Sr. Pancratius Baumi 1956-1986
Sr. Gundula Haufele 1987-2007
Mrs Ann Glover 2008-2015
Sr. Kudzai Mutsure 2016-present
(Opening of Middle School Department 1959)
Sr. Amanda Dietmayer 1959-1965
Sr. Reingard Berger 1966-1976
Sr. Azalis Dandl 1977-1979
Sr. Gundula Haufele 1980-1986
(Closing of Middle School Department 1968)